Day 31

On my last day in Iceland my family and I drove eastward to visit my uncle. He's opening a bed and breakfast in the spring and we got to taste his delicious home-made bread and waffles. Not only can he bake, but he is also a very talented photographer.

In this area there are many beautiful places that are also very popular by tourists. Of course we stopped to take a few photos.

The Icelandic horse is well adapted to cold weather, he is small and sports a winter coat during the colder months.


Iceland sits on 2 shifting plates and thus had volcanic activity and lots of hot water close to the surface.


Dirt that has been frozen and lifted out of the ground.


Ice crystals


Do not cross the rope unless you want to be soaked by boiling water.


Geysir's little brother Strokkur erupts every few minutes. I was unprepared so I only caught the photo when the water was coming back down.


Gullfoss waterfall


The parking lot in front of Gullfoss, one of Iceland's main attractions. Can you spot our car?


The Icelandic highway

Levi  – (February 2, 2010 at 5:57 PM)  

Those are all spectacular photos. I'm chilled to the bone just seeing them.

Anita  – (February 2, 2010 at 6:52 PM)  

its been really lovely seeing the pictures of your country. Such a treat! Thank you for sharing it with us.

J.  – (February 2, 2010 at 10:48 PM)  

Wow! These shots make me want to run and look up more info on Iceland. It looks amazing! And so utterly foreign - and I'm from Canada! LOL ...

Unknown  – (February 3, 2010 at 4:37 AM)  

Amazing - Iceland has moved up on the list of places to visit. Truly incredible. Thank you so much for sharing these!

Florence Lee  – (February 3, 2010 at 8:29 AM)  

Iceland is such a beautiful place - fantastic photos of the colours and scenes! I want to hug an Icelandic horse :)

solveig  – (February 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM)  

Thank you :D Iceland´s nature is truly special, I´ve only just comprehended it after I moved away. This summer I travelled the country with my inlaws and I think I really saw it for the first time.
It´s actually a great time to visit as everything is much cheaper due to the fall of the currency :D

Cheryl Kohan  – (February 3, 2010 at 4:34 PM)  

Absolutely beautiful photography, solveig! Would love to see what Iceland is like in the summer.

Lucky7  – (February 5, 2010 at 9:48 PM)  

Iceland is great! especially for photos! It seems there is always a special particular light! But Solveig is even greater !!! great shots!

Anonymous –   – (February 5, 2010 at 11:41 PM)  

A wonderful island, we went there for christmas a long time ago (pre-digital!). Toasting the glacier with a glass of 'black death' I'll never forget.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP