Day 20

My grandfather passed away yesterday.
I wanted to make a small tribute to him with today's photo.

My grandfather was a kind man. It was always a pleasure to go to my grandparents' house who lived outside the city. When I was a child, I used to hide behind the coats in the entry, when it was time to go home. They all pretended to look for me while I stood very still, inhaling the comforting smell of my granpa's cologne and the elegant smell of grandma's perfume, happy that I could prolong the visit for a few more minutes.

My grandfather was strong and he was proud.
When my grandmother started to loose her sight, he cooked and did the dishes.
He went every year to police station to renew his driver's licence. He went to the store and he did the shopping when my grandmother didn't trust herself outside anymore.
He walked tall and straight and wouldn't let anyone see him with a walking stick.
He was 94 years old and I feel very blessed to have had him in my life for 29 years.

My grandfather was always elegant, I will forever associate beautiful hats with my grandfather.

Anonymous –   – (January 20, 2010 at 8:45 PM)  

mikið er þetta fallegt ;*
:'( það er erfitt að gráta ekki,
ég sakna þín!! og afa :(
ég elska þig!!
-andrea

Claire  – (January 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM)  

My grandfather had 94 years old when he passed away too. I understand your feeling and I'm with you for this sad moment. Good shot for him.

Levi  – (January 20, 2010 at 9:13 PM)  

This is a beautiful photographic tribute to your grandfather. What a blessing that he had a full 94 years.

Anita  – (January 20, 2010 at 11:25 PM)  

What a wonderful tribute - my sympathy for your loss.

Unknown  – (January 21, 2010 at 1:55 AM)  

such a lovely photo to honor his memory.

amson  – (January 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM)  

Such a wonderful photo tribute to your grandfather. I am sure he is so proud of you.

Anonymous –   – (January 21, 2010 at 2:14 PM)  

So sorry for your loss. It's a lovely tribute to your grandfather.

Kristen H  – (January 21, 2010 at 3:17 PM)  

So sorry to hear about your loss, sending you my thoughts and prayers. This is a lovely way to remember him.

Jenny  – (January 21, 2010 at 5:12 PM)  

So sorry for your loss, and what a lovely picture. I never knew my grandfather, but I get to live what could have been thru other peoples wonderful words about their granfather.

way outnumbered  – (January 21, 2010 at 5:19 PM)  

lovely shot, sorry for your pain...

~Susie~  – (January 21, 2010 at 8:49 PM)  

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. This is a lovely way to remember him!

solveig  – (January 21, 2010 at 11:58 PM)  

Thank you all so much for your beautiful words. It is truly touching to read all your comments, it really means alot to me.

Anonymous –   – (January 24, 2010 at 2:47 AM)  

what a beautiful tribute. a most excellent portrait.

he sounds like a wonderful man, sorry you will be missing him.

Anonymous –   – (January 24, 2010 at 2:05 PM)  

I'm sorry for your loss, but happy that you have such wonderful memories x

Anonymous –   – (January 24, 2010 at 7:17 PM)  

Very sorry to hear about your loss. What a magnificent photograph you have taken to remember him by.

janjan0000  – (January 29, 2010 at 7:25 PM)  

My condolences :(
This shot is very powerful and invokes a lot of emotion.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP